Tuesday 14 June 2016
10 EASY START UP IDEAS FOR STAY AT HOME MUMS
Do you know that you can make money without leaving your home?
Some days ago, I made a statement that sparked up a lot of controversy among my readers. So, I decided to write this blog to clarify certain misconceptions. I said that it was important for every woman especially married women, to have another stream of income for her personal account.
When I wrote this, some women who were stay at home mums were really ticked off. As far as they were concerned I was judging them for their decision to stay at home. One of them sent an email saying "Stella, do you really think it was my choice to get a degree and then sit at home? Don't you realize that a lot of us have even more qualifications than our husbands but had to make the ultimate sacrifice of staying at home to raise the kids? Do you expect us to refuse our husbands when they ask us to stay home?"
I wanted to respond immediately but decided to do this blog post instead, as my response may encourage and further explain my intentions to others who may feel the same way.
I totally understand where she is coming from, but at the same time I still maintain that you can make money sitting right in your living room. You do not have to leave the house and go against your agreement just to make money. Technology and the INTERNET have made it so easy to do business virtually, sell and buy things without leaving your home. You can stay with your children and live your normal life even as you make money. Here are 10 of the numerous ways a stay at home mum can make some money for herself:
1) COPYWRITING: you can become an effective online marketer by using your words to get the reader to take a specific action or buy a product. Copywriters are responsible for what you hear them say in advertisements by the voice over artist. Find advertising agencies online, in any part of the world or small business owners and pitch ideas to them. You need to learn the art of COPYWRITING so find a course online that you can learn from. With your laptop and Internet, you are good to go.
2) CONTENT MARKETING: this means you are able to share valuable and create free content to attract customers and buyers, you can also attract sponsors. When you have enough eyes and ears hooked on your content, the investors and clients will look for you e.g blogs, podcast, email auto responders. You still need copywriting to create good content.
3) BLOGGING: this is the favorite for women who just want to sit and write about things they enjoy, their hobbies, their children, marriage, family, friendship and everything they are very interested in. You should also know a lot about your theme or your topics. Blogging can be free if you want it simple. Choose your name to be identified with dot your provider, then design the look of the blog. Blogger and Wordpress have amazing templates you can use that look like websites. Through your blog, people can advertise and pay you to put their brands on your blog as long as it is generating traffic. You need your laptop/computer, Internet and your heart.
4) VLOGGING: this is otherwise known as a video log and a form of web television. Some people use this video medium as opposed to the written medium (blog). Vloggers use Audio visual as a medium to communicate their thoughts, tutorials, ideas, inventions, comedy etc to an audience. A good camera with great audio is required for this and if you learn how to do simple edits, it makes it more professional. The good news is that everything you need and how to do it can be learnt from YouTube for free. Other VLOGGERS have made it easy for you by telling you exactly what to do and how to do it. When you start to have more viewers and subscribers, you can start sourcing for sponsorship to get paid. A lot of people have also learnt to monetize their channels, so the more viewers you have the more money you make.
5) PRODUCT REVIEW: you can become a product tester for different brands and businesses. They send you their products through the mail, you test it and review it based on your experience. The review can be written or recorded via audio visual. Either way, you get paid because you are putting their product in front of your audience.
6) VOICE OVER: with the right microphone, a quiet room, good and clear accent, your computer/laptop you can become a paid voice over artist. This is a job you can do in your nightgown inside your guest room, basement or even closet. Voice overs are used for alerts, television, movie trailers, animation, presentations, industrials, documentaries etc. send your voice to different agencies and businesses and let them know how your voice can help them achieve their goals.
7) AFFILIATE MARKETING: become a middle man between brand/product and consumer. Get paid when people click on a product through your site or when they purchase an item through your site.
8) ONLINE STORE: sell anything through your website without leaving your home. You will need to put up the pictures of the items you want to sell, how much they cost and how people can pay for them or partner with brands to sell their products through your website and get paid for each purchase.
9) ONLINE COURSE: you can teach on the web and have students from all over the world who will pay to learn from you. A series of lessons should be created to a web browser or mobile device so that the lessons can be accessed at any time to those who have made their payments. Bring your talent and knowledge to the web and get paid for it.
10) COLUMNIST: become a freelance writer for different magazines, newspapers, blogs, books etc. Some of these might be paid jobs but others might give you a bigger audience when you write for their platform. The audience you will get can help you gain trust and bargaining power with brands who want to sponsor your own page.
There are so many other things you can do online to generate income and also to get your name, ideas, knowledge and brand out there without leaving your home. I hope you find these useful.
Please let me know if there are others you can recommend and share.
Don't forget to subscribe, comment and share this post.
Thank you for stopping by.